Saturday 4 August 2018

10 Netflix Movies You Need To Watch



Occasionally, I spend what feels like hours scrolling through the list of film titles available on Netflix, yet find absolutely nothing to watch. This has not been the case over the past few months. Netflix have seriously upped their movie game - which is very much a good thing when it comes to a movie binge, although I think my Masters dissertation work may say otherwise... 

I'm going to share with you some of the movies I have enjoyed watching on Netflix recently and that I strongly believe you should watch too! Please note, as always, there will be no spoilers in this post as we do not worship the devil and perform satanic rituals here. I'd also like to clarify that although the title of this post is 'Netflix Movies', I simply mean, movies on UK Netflix that I have watched - not that all the movies mentioned are Netflix 'Originals'.

*Descriptions appearing in italics were written by and belong to Netflix*

Brain on Fire

"A mysterious illness is devastating her body and mind. Her doctors are baffled. But she's determined to find answers." 

Honestly, if you only watch one movie from this list of recommendations, then please please do make it THIS MOVIE. It's based on a true story and accurately conveys the frustrations and challenges that come with fighting for a diagnosis for a rare, 'undiscovered illness'. Chloe's performance was absolutely phenomenal too, she had me feeling every single emotion her character experienced. Please watch this.


Wish Upon

"A troubled teenager receives a mysterious music box that grants her seven wishes. But she soon learns that there's a price to pay for having it all."

A horror movie? In a list of Emma's movie recommendations? No.... really? (*Please do take note of the sarcasm, if you know me you'll know I am always watching horror movies*). This film brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'be careful what you wish for'. I have watched this twice already, I really enjoyed it as horror movies go and THAT ENDING THO.

Love, Rosie

"Over the years, as they come and go in each other's life, childhood pals Rosie and Alex struggle to resolve the lasting, intimate bond between them."

I have watched this movie so many times I have actually lost count. This is a major comfort movie for me and one I will always turn to when I'm feeling in need of a laugh AND a cry. What truly makes this film so special to me, is the on screen chemistry between Lily Collins and Sam Claflin. I think they are both incredibly talented actors who portray these fictional characters perfectly. I can hand on heart say that the film is SOOO much better than the book, which is something I rarely say. If you haven't seen this yet, go and watch it!

Central Intelligence


"A CIA operative contacts a former high school buddy with accounting chops to help dissolve a lethal plot against U.S. undercover agents."


If you put Kevin Hart and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson in a movie together, what do you get? An action-packed movie that will have you chuckling on your sofa for its entire running time. This is one of my favourite comedies I have watched this year so far, and surprisingly, some scenes did make me a lil emotional! You also begin to question certain character's motives and trustworthiness, which added necessary depth to a fairly simple storyline. This is one to watch with the family!
(I don't know why the text is small here - I've tried my best to edit it but nothing makes a difference :( )



Don't Breathe

"He's blind and rich -- the perfect target for robbery. But the tables turn when three teen thieves find themselves in a lethal game of cat and mouse."

Don't breathe? I COULD NOT PHYSICALLY BREATHE throughout the whole 1h 28m the first time I watched this! If you are looking for a movie rich in suspense with the occasional plot twist, this is for you. It will genuinely have you on the edge of your seat.  

  
Identity Thief

"When Sandy Patterson in Colorado is accused of crimes he hasn't committed, he must track down the "Sandy Patterson" in Florida who has -- in his name."

 This movie is hilarious. Melissa McCarthy is phenomenal, as per. Watch this if you are in desperate need of a laugh because it will not disappoint!  

Tau

"Kidnapped by an inventor who uses her as a test subject to perfect his robotic AI, a street-smart young woman tries to escape her high-tech prison."

I really didn't think I'd enjoy this movie because I find the Sci-Fi/Sci-Fi Thriller genre to be a bit hit and miss. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the depth and uniqueness of Tau. To be honest, I found the very beginning of the movie pretty boring, but everything that happened after the 20 minute mark had me completely hooked. If you find artificial intelligence interesting, then you will most likely enjoy this movie. You will also most certainly come away from this movie needing your own 'Tau' in your life, f*ck Alexa! I will definitely be rewatching.

13 Going on 30

"When a geeky teen's birthday party goes awry and she makes a wish that she could be 40, she wakes up to discover she's flash-forwarded 17 years."

This movie is an oldie (released in 2004) but a goodie. I SCREAMED when I saw that this had been added to Netflix, because I first watched this movie when I was 9/10 years old and absolutely loved it. Watching it now in my early 20's made me experience all the nostalgia! I discovered it on Netflix at the perfect time too because it really helped lift my mood after a very difficult day. This movie will always hold a special place in my heart because I vividly remember this DVD being on my Gran's shelf. My Gran unfortunately passed away from cancer 7 years ago (in December) and when I miss her and want to feel close to her, I watch this. It's very cheesy in places, but what romcom isn't? This may have been released in 2004, but it's still very relevant. I urge you to watch this. 

The Intern

"Harried fashion entrepreneur Jules gets a surprise boost from Ben, a 70-year-old widower who answers an ad seeking a senior intern."

This movie made me laugh, cry and beam from ear to ear. This is such a touching and heartfelt film that conveys the importance of the older generation's experience and wisdom not only in business/work, but also just in life in general. Robert De Niro's character (Ben) is extremely lovable and cute and Anne Hathaway's character (Jules) is simply the definition of a GIRL BOSS. This movie will alleviate any stress after a particularly long or challenging day because it's lighthearted and amusing with little suspense or action (unlike the next and final movie on the list...)

The Belko Experiment

"Instructed via intercom to kill two people in the next half hour, 80 American expats in Bogotá turn on each other in a desperate attempt to survive."

This movie is not for the faint hearted. It's gory af (like seriously, if you don't like blood, do not watch this because it is SO realistic) and extremely violent. However, if you can tolerate those two things and enjoy a good thriller/horror, this is a movie you should definitely add to your watch list. I wouldn't say that the ending was particularly 'ground breaking', but it left me feeling a little uneasy. Watch this at your own risk *laughs nervously*.

So, what are you waiting for? Go and grab yourself a drink, some snacks, a blanket and cosy up with Netflix.You can find me over on my Twitter (@grandesmotel) or Instagram (@emviolxt) - let me know whether you watch any of my recommendations and send me your movie suggestions too! We can have a little chat over there. 

Take care, Emma x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig